Join the Rally to Oppose the Halifax International Security Forum
Saturday, November 22 – 1:00 pm
Halifax Peace & Freedom Park (formerly Cornwallis Park) Hollis & South Sts.
For information: Facebook or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
On November 21-23, the sixth annual Halifax International Security Forum (HISF) will be held in Halifax. The organization No Harbour for War is calling on Haligonians to oppose this warmongering gathering and join in an anti-war rally on Saturday, November 22 at 1:00 pm, at Halifax Peace & Freedom Park (formerly Cornwallis Park) at Hollis and South Sts.
The HISF is inextricably linked to NATO, a venue for the U.S.-led aggressive alliance to hold PR events, plan future aggression and spread disinformation about the role of NATO in the world. The HISF has also emerged as one of the mechanisms through which U.S. imperialist agencies determine the Canadian foreign and military agenda. The warmongering meetings are also an occasion for the United States to form new military arrangements to integrate the Canadian Forces under its command. In 2009, U.S. Secretary of State Robert Gates announced that U.S. Marines would henceforth exercise in the Arctic to “defend Canadian sovereignty.” In 2011, Chuck Hagel, U. S. Secretary of Defence, announced that Canada had signed a still secret protocol to join Obama’s Asia Pivot strategy aimed at China and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
This relationship of subservience to U.S. interests is underscored by the use of the important port of Halifax for such an event. Halifax has one of the largest natural harbours in the world, which should be used to promote Canadian nation-building and peaceful relations and trade with all countries, big and small, based on respect for their sovereignty and mutual benefit. Instead the Harper government permits the Washington, DC-based HISF to commandeer the city for its annual war conference. The HISF follows NATO’s Summit held in September in Newport, Wales. It will no doubt further the dark plans of NATO to attack and destroy the Assad government in Syria under the guise of destroying ISIS “Islamic terrorism,” and to use disinformation over the unfolding events in Ukraine to try to subdue Russia.
Notorious U.S. war criminal Senator John McCain calls the HISF “one of the most important gatherings that is convened around the world.” Each November for the past five years McCain has used Canadian territory to call for an invasion against Iran and Libya and military aggression against Syria and Iran, Venezuela and Bolivia, etc. Warmongers from more than 60 countries will participate, along with Canadian Defence Minister Rob Nicholson and some 300 others, including journalists and members of big business.
McCain will be accompanied by Christian Brose, his National Security Advisor; Elizabeth O’Bagy, his Foreign Policy Advisor; and Kurt Volker, Executive Director, McCain Institute for International Leadership. Other top U.S. military commanders and state officials in attendance include:
- John Kelly, Commander, United States Southern Command and Representative; Commandant of the United States Marines;
- James Wellons, Executive Officer to the Commander, United States Southern Command
- Charles Jacoby, Commander, United States Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command;
- Cecil Haney, Commander, United States Strategic Command;
- Christine Wormuth, Undersecretary of Defense for Policy, United States Department of Defense;
- James Baker, Principal Deputy Director, Joint Staff Strategic Plans and Policy and Strategist to the Chairman, United States Department of Defense;
- Rebecca Chavez, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Western Hemisphere Affairs, United States Department of Defense;
- Admiral Michelle Howard, Vice Chief of Naval Operations, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, United States Department of Defense;
- Michael Rogers, Commander, United States Cyber Command; Director, National Security Agency/Chief, Central Security Service
- James Mingo, Chief of Commander’s Planning Group, United States Army Training and Doctrine Command;
- David Perkins, Commanding General, United States Army Training and Doctrine Command;
- John Allen, Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition Against ISIL, United States Department of State;
- Tom Perriello, Special Representative for the Quadrennial Diplomacy and Development Review, United States Department of State;
- Alexis Wichowski, Director of Media Analysis & Strategy, United States Mission to the United Nations, United States Department of State;
- Bruce Heyman, United States Ambassador to Canada, United States Department of State;
- Dov Zakheim, Senior Fellow, Center for Naval Analyses (funded by U.S. government); and
- General, Frank Grass, Chief National Guard Bureau
TML calls on everyone to go all out and participate in the action on November 22 to oppose the HISF as part of the work to establish an anti-war government in Canada that would bar such war criminals from setting foot on Canadian territory.
War Criminals Are Not Welcome in Canada! Work to Establish an Anti-War Government!
All Out to Oppose the Halifax War Conference!
Source: TML Daily