As in past coup attempts, the silence of the Canadian government is very telling. While the Harper government claims it opposes terrorism, this is totally unprincipled, as it has not said a word about the recent events in Venezuela.
The Venezuelan government recently brought to light another failed coup attempt by opposition forces. This attempt to overthrow the democratically elected government of Venezuela is part of the U.S. imperialists’ plan to impose themselves on the peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean. The plot is said to involve members of the U.S. and UK diplomatic corps in Venezuela, while Canada has also been implicated in the plot through the alleged involvement of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
On February 12, the one-year anniversary of the campaign of opposition violence, the Venezuelan government revealed that it had thwarted a violent coup attempt being planned for that day. TeleSUR reported, “The plotters had planned to overthrow the elected government of President Nicolás Maduro with a campaign of violence, including mass killings and tactical bombings of strategic sites across Caracas. When the dust cleared, the coup plotters expected key government officials, including Maduro, to be dead with the country then firmly in their control.” The plan included bombings of the Miraflores Palace and the TeleSUR offices in Caracas, as well as assassinations of President Nicolás Maduro and others.
Speaking in a February 14 televised address, President Maduro stated that both civilians and members of the military had been detained. Those involved were being paid in U.S. dollars, and one of the suspects had been granted a visa to enter the United States should the plot fail, Maduro said. He went on to explain that the coup plotters had a transitional government and program lined up. Maduro added that a video of masked military officials speaking out against the government had been recorded, which was set to be broadcast, from Venezuela or Miami after the planned assassination was carried out.
TeleSUR reports that the four-stage plan involved creating an economic war on Venezuela, creating an international debate around a supposed humanitarian crisis, a political coup involving officials who would turn on the government, and finally a military coup that would lead to the installation of the transitional program.
Just the day before the coup was to take place, opposition leaders Leopoldo López, María Corina Machado and Antonio Ledezma released a “transition plan” that called for the privatization of the country’s oil industry, deregulation of the economy and accords with international financial institutions, including the International Monetary Fund.
Maduro stated that the plot was uncovered after military officials who had been approached to participate reported the schemes to authorities. Maduro called on the Venezuelan people to be on alert and prepared to maintain peace in the country in the face of continued attempts by sectors of the right wing who seek to overthrow the democratically-elected government.
Regarding the disposition of the military, Venezuelan Minister of Defense Vladimir Padrino López held a news conference on February 13 where he pledged loyalty to the democratically-elected government of President Maduro. “The Armed Forces reiterates its support and loyalty to President Nicolás Maduro Moros and reaffirms its commitment to the construction and the will of the people, along with the plans for the country in the construction of socialism,” said Padrino López . “In light of this situation, the Armed Forces continue to be united and reject all acts of barbarism … a country is not built on violence.” He pointed out that the coup was thwarted precisely because of the loyalty and integrity of the country’s officials and that those involved in the coup attempt are part of a very small group and do not represent the Armed Forces of Venezuela.
On February 13, the president of Venezuela’s national assembly, Diosdado Cabello, provided further information about the plot. He said that a member of the RCMP, and a member of the U.K. diplomatic core in Venezuela, had been involved in plans, including seeking information on airport capacity in case of emergencies. Cabello also pointed out how U.S. President Barack Obama stated, “American leadership at times entails twisting the arms of states which don’t do what we need them to do.” This is in keeping with the U.S. 2015 National Security Strategy (NSS). Amongst other things, the NSS presents the U.S. as the main defender of democracy and advocates the threat and use of force as integral to U.S. diplomacy in which it singles out Venezuela, stating, “[W]e stand by the citizens of countries where the full exercise of democracy is at risk, such as Venezuela.”
Venezuelan authorities have identified individuals from the U.S. embassy in Caracas who provided visas to the individuals involved in the attempt. This paper work to grant political asylum to those involved in the coup was already underway in the event that the plot failed.
TML Weekly vigorously condemns the U.S.-backed terrorist plans against Venezuela and the attempt of all those involved in this plot to carry out regime change to undermine the sovereignty of the Venezuelan people. As in past coup attempts, the silence of the Canadian government is very telling. While the Harper government claims it opposes terrorism, this is totally unprincipled, as it has not said a word about the recent events in Venezuela.
(With files from TeleSUR)