Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada released a statement March 27 from Rob Nicholson, Minister of Foreign Affairs. It stated that “Canada supports the military action by Saudi Arabia and its Gulf Cooperation Council [GCC] partners and others to defend Saudi Arabia’s border and to protect Yemen’s recognized government at the request of the Yemeni president.”
Saudi Arabia, Egypt and other states began bombing Yemen on March 26 after receiving U.S. authorization. A ground invasion is reportedly being prepared, and scores of civilians are being killed in the bombings each day. An uprising had been taking place in the country, the poorest in the region, led by the Houthi rebel group. In late January the U.S. and Saudi-supported president Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi resigned his position, which he later withdrew.
The U.S.-Saudi operation began with the deployment of 100 fighter jets and 150,000 soldiers are prepared to invade. Houthi leader Abdel-Malek al-Houthi, in a televised speech, described the Saudi-led operation as a “despicable aggression.”
“What do they expect us to do, surrender, announce our defeat and act like cowards? Absolutely not. This is not how the honourable Yemeni people think. We will fight back. All 24 million Yemenis will stand united and face that despicable aggression,” al-Houthi said. He added, “If any army tries to invade our country, we will prove that Yemen will be a grave for those who invade us.”
The Canadian government meanwhile put the blame on the Houthis and their supporters in Yemen: “We strongly urge the Houthis to immediately halt their provocative military actions, and we urge all parties to return to negotiations.
“Canada continues to stand by the Yemeni people during this difficult and uncertain time,” said Rob Nicholson.
Source: Democratic Renewal