The Canadian Network on Cuba (CNC) has initiated a new parliamentary petition to the Government of Canada calling on it to oppose the U.S. war on Cuba, and that Canada maintain principled relations with Cuba and not follow U.S. dictate. This petition, e-3640, opened October 29 and replaces a previous one, e-3456. That petition gathered thousands of signatures but died on the order paper when Justin Trudeau called the pandemic election, ending the 43rd Parliament.
The CNC writes that “Canadians have a profound respect and admiration for the people of Cuba. Irrespective of their political or ideological positions, Canadians stand for the building of genuine friendship with the island nation: relations based on mutual respect, equality and recognition of Cuba’s right to self-determination and sovereignty.
“We call on all Canadian citizens and residents — especially those one-million annual visitors in pre-COVID times who have seen Cuba for themselves — to sign the petition demanding the end of the economic war and campaign of subversion against the people of Cuba.
“By gathering as many signatures as possible a powerful and clear message can be sent to Ottawa.”
The petition is sponsored by Niki Ashton, Member of Parliament for Churchill–Keewatinook Aski. It closes for signatures on February 26, 2022, at 8:31 am (EDT).
No to Foreign Interference in Cuban Affairs!
Canada, Do Not Give In to Pressure Against Cuba!
Parliament of Canada, Respect Cuban Sovereignty!
USA Unblock Cuba!
Petition to the Government of Canada
• The Government of the United States wages an economic war against Cuba, which is the principal obstacle to Cuba’s social and economic development, causing damages exceeding $100 billion;
• The Government of the United States pressures and coerces other countries to participate in its more than 60-year economic war against Cuba;
• The Government of the United States relentlessly organizes, finances, and orchestrates a campaign of disinformation, aggression, and subversion of Cuba’s legitimate constitutional order;
• U.S. economic sanctions, constituting an economic blockade, and the campaign of subversion against Cuba are a violation of international law, the right of self-determination and the human rights of the people of Cuba; and
• The international community, including Canada, repeatedly rejects the economic war against Cuba through overwhelming votes in the United Nations General Assembly and in other international forums.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Request an end to all economic sanctions against Cuba;
2. Ask that the Government of the United States cease its campaign of subversion, hostility, and aggression against Cuba;
3. Request that the Government of the United States remove Cuba from the U.S. Department of State’s State Sponsors of Terrorism list;
4. Take immediate steps and actions to preserve Canadian sovereignty, ensuring Canadian companies and other entities do not participate in U.S. economic sanctions against Cuba through, inter alia, the enforcement of the Foreign Extraterritorial Measures Act; and
5. Ensure that Canada’s relations with Cuba are based on equality and the respect of sovereignty, independence, and the right of self-determination.
To sign the petition, click here.