Third of a series on the issues and goals of the “October Crisis” and the forces in motion, reposted from TML Weekly.
Police attack demonstration led by CPC(M-L) activists outside the Royal York Hotel in Toronto, March 3, 1971. The demonstration supports the Quebec people and opposes the attacks launched on them by Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau’s government.
By Anna Di Carlo
There are many official as well as media accounts of crimes committed against Canadians, Quebeckers and Indigenous peoples by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). Some of the crimes are left out of the accounts altogether; others are said to be unacceptable aberrations or necessary despite the violations of rights. All in all, it is said that such crimes belong to the past or even that they have contributed to strengthening our democracy. The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) was created in 1984 to, allegedly, “collect intelligence but not pass to action” and thus we were to believe that the days of the dirty deeds of the RCMP were over. Of course, it is not true that after 1984 the security services stopped violating the rights of the people. These include cover-up of their involvement in the 1985 Air India disaster. Since 9/11, every manner of excuse has been given to violate rights with impunity. Bill C-51, the Anti-Terrorism Act 2015 extends powers to CSIS to allow it to conduct activities that resemble those of the RCMP prior to 1984.
This article provides a brief review of the official story and what the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) had to say about this at the time the events were taking place. The aim of the review is to sum up this experience so that people can provide themselves with a suitable guide to action which serves the present and opens a path to a safe and bright future. Continue reading →
Second of a series on the issues and goals of the “October Crisis” and the forces in motion, reposted from TML Weekly.
Demonstration outside Tanguay prison in Montreal, January 1971, calls for the release of political prisoners detained under the War Measures Act.
Media disinformation about the invocation of the War Measures Act in 1970 tends to focus only on some events which were taking place in October 1970 and discussion on whether or not Pierre Elliot Trudeau over-reacted or if there truly was a state of apprehended insurrection at the time. Information brought to light in 2010 about the RCMP’s secret plans, first devised in 1950, for indefinite detention and internment of thousands of Canadians, code-named PROFUNC (PROminent FUNCtionaries of the Communist Party), was used, amongst other things, to suggest that the phenomenon of the police being above the civil power was a thing of the past. Continue reading →
Demonstration on Parliament Hill in Ottawa in 1970 opposing the invoking of the War Measures Act.
First of a series on the issues and goals of the “October Crisis” and the forces in motion, reposted from TML Weekly.
The Significance of the Proclamation of War Measures
By Pauline Easton
Army deployed on the streets of Montreal October 15, 1970, the day before the War Measures Act is invoked.
October 16, 2020 will mark the 50th Anniversary of the proclamation of the War Measures Act by the Liberal government headed by Pierre Elliott Trudeau. Trudeau declared a state of “apprehended insurrection” in order to use the powers of the War Measures Act, which had been used in World War I and World War II to indefinitely detain people without charges or trial.
The police carried out more than 1,000 raids between October 7 and 10, 1970. Using the provisions of the National Defence Act, the army appeared on the streets of Ottawa on October 12 and on the streets of Montreal on October 15. After the War Measures Act was invoked, the police carried out another 3,068 raids and searches without warrants. During these raids police arrested 465 people and held them without charges. The vast majority of the people arrested were released after 21 days without charges while others were held for longer periods. Continue reading →
By US Admiral Kurt W. Tidd, Commander, US Southern Command
Last May, Argentinian journalist Stella Calloni revealed a document from Admiral Kurt Tidd, Commander in Chief of SouthCom, exposing military operations aimed at Venezuela. A second penetration was simultaneously implemented in Nicaragua, and a third, running for the last half century, against Cuba. The entire 11-page text is reproduced below. The admiral twice last year, in February and November, visited two areas in Colombia, the coca growing areas of south Colombia, and along the border with Venezuela, where the Colombian military has its largest concentrations of troops. Continue reading →
The Revolutionary Government of the Republic of Cuba condemns and energetically rejects the attempt to impose a coup d’état, a puppet government at the service of the United States, in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, and expresses its unwavering solidarity with the government of Constitutional President Nicolás Maduro Moros. Continue reading →
Nicolás Maduro is sworn into office for a second six-year term, January 10, 2019.
Nicolás Maduro is sworn into office for a second six-year term, January 10, 2019.
The Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) condemns the antics of the counter-revolutionary forces in Venezuela backed by the U.S. imperialists and their allies – calling themselves the Lima Group, in which Canada is included – to overthrow the constitutionally elected president of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro. President Maduro was re-elected to a second term by the people of Venezuela who are waging a tenacious fight to defend their Bolivarian revolution and the sovereignty of the nation. Because of this they have been forced to face the brunt of the regime change arsenal of U.S. imperialism, its accomplices and appeasers – the government of Canada among them. Continue reading →
Organization of American States’ Permanent Council holds Extraordinary Session on Nicaragua, January 11, 2019.
On December 24, 2018, just as many were beginning holiday celebrations, the Permanent Council of the Organization of American States (OAS) issued a notice to its members of a special meeting being held on December 27 at the request of Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Peru, and the United States “to consider the situation in Nicaragua.” The meeting was called within days of the release of a report by the OAS-linked Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) relating to violent events that occurred in the country between April 18 and May 30, 2018. Continue reading →
I wonder: What is the point of the OAS? Is it worth being a member? Why not build a common Latin American and Caribbean front and unmask it for what it is, along with its current Secretary General, Luis Almagro? Continue reading →
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro speaks from the Presidential Palace in Caracas, Jan. 23, 2019 | Twitter / @PresidencialVen
President Nicolas Maduro announced that he was cutting all diplomatic relations with the United States after U.S. President Donald Trump recognized lawmaker Juan Guaidó as interim president, after the opposition lawmaker illegally self-appointed himself as president of the country, breaking the constitution. Continue reading →
The Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) ) sends congratulations to the Venezuelan people and their President Nicolás Maduro Moros on the occasion of his assuming office as President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela for a second term on January 10. Continue reading →
The U.S.-Canadian collaboration in supporting terrorism is being heroized. In another stunning revelation of the foreign links to the extremists in Syria, the U.S.-led Halifax war conference opening today “will offer delegates an off-the-record session with Raed Al Saleh, co-founder of Syria Civil Defence, a group of volunteer rescue workers better known as the White Helmets” (emphasis added). Continue reading →
Demonstration against fourth Halifax International Security Forum, November 17, 2012 | Halifax Media Co-op
This year marks the 10th annual rally against the U.S.-led Halifax war conference, the Halifax International Security Forum (HISF) on November 16-18, held in the context of the centenary of the ending of the First World War and the world “peace forum” of the big powers in Paris. For the 10th year Haligonians are organizing against it and advancing their demands based on No Harbour for War, Canada Out of NATO, Make Canada a Zone of Peace and for an anti-war government.
This “forum,” involving high-profile generals, admirals, defence ministers, ideologues and corporate executives from the NATO bloc, will discuss “issues of international security.” According to the Department of Defence, which has doled out some $30 million tax dollars to the U.S. organizers since 2009, the aim of the “discussion” is to “learn from each other, share opinions, generate new ideas, and put them into action” (emphasis added). Topics such as “100 Years On: Are We Tired of Winning?,” and “Beijing’s Cravings, Kremlin’s Gremlins: Freedom’s Foes.” are a telling implication of the real agenda. Continue reading →
The self proclaimed T-shirt Soldiers group claimed responsibility for the August 4 attack on the Venezuelan President’s life | Misión Verdad
Venezuela’s President during an event celebrating the 81st anniversary of the Bolivarian National Guard | TELESUR
(August 10) – During an event attended by thousands on Bolivar Avenue in the city of Caracas, on the occasion of the 81st anniversary of the Bolivarian National Guard, two drones exploded close to the Presidential stand, as the country’s head of state was finishing his speech to the crowd.
According to police accounts, the nature of the explosive material the drones carried was confirmed when they crashed. “Unofficial” sources told an opposition journalist named Román Camacho that the artifacts contained C4 plastic explosives. Continue reading →
While the Canadian government has maintained its unacceptable silence on the attempted assassination of the president of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, on August 4, people in Toronto held an emergency demonstration on August 9 to express their support for the Venezuelan leadership and the Bolivaran Revolution. A statement issued on Facebook read: Continue reading →
Tens of thousands of Venezuelans marched on Monday in support of President Nicolás Maduro, after a drone attack failed to assassinate both him and military leaders assembled on a review podium at an anniversary parade of that country’s National Guard on August 4.
Bodyguards cover president Nicolás Maduro as drones carrying explosives are shot down close to his platform (@XHNews / Twitter)
By TONY SEED*
(August 5, updated August 9, 14) – Both CBC and CTV national news on August 4 and August 5 openly contested that the terrorist drone attack in Caracas of August 4 constituted an attempted assassination of the president of that country, Nicolás Maduro, as affirmed by the Venezuelan government that night as well as video and photographic evidence provided by independent news sites in that country. They all but openly declared that the assassination attempt simply did not happen. Continue reading →
Timber Sycamore was a classified weapons supply and training program run by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and supported by various Arab intelligence services, most notably that of Saudi Arabia. The program is the proverbial tip of the iceberg. It is further evidence that the United States and/or any of its collaborators and accessories including the Canadian government, with its proxy support, training and arms programs in Kurdistan, Jordan, Israel and Saudi Arabia, are guilty of crimes against humanity through aggression against the Syrian Arab Republic, a sovereign country. The use of proxy mercenary armies camouflaged by a fictitious “civil war,” according to the Obama Doctrine, masks the identities of their sponsors. It cannot hide them however, nor their aggression, from the light of day nor the reaches of international law. Continue reading →
Canada’s initiative at the United Nations to sanction aggression against Syria violates the UN Charter, which states that its very raison d’être is to uphold the sovereignty of nations. Canada is basing itself on the lie that what it calls diplomatic options are exhausted. The U.S. imperialists complain bitterly that Syria has not accepted voluntarily that the U.S. and NATO countries should dictate its destiny, and that institutions such as the UN cannot be used to undermine the sovereignty of its members. As part of creating pretexts for direct aggression against Syria, the U.S. and its NATO allies are taking measures that are falsely called diplomatic. These include sanctions on Syria and Russia, UN Security Council resolutions, the U.S. feigned commitment to ceasefires involving its sponsored fighters, as well as fraudulent accusations and provocations against the Syrian government. When the “diplomatic” measures do not succeed in accomplishing U.S. aims, the foremost aim of which is U.S. domination, then the imperialists assert that diplomacy has failed and aggression is justified. Continue reading →
AMIDST revelations about U.S.-led global espionage and cyber warfare and other wrongdoings coming to light during the past year, the Harper war government is expanding its own participation in social media and electronic subversion of foreign states trying an independent path of development and deemed hostile to the interests of the US and NATO bloc.
On February 7 Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird visited the headquarters of Google and Twitter in Silicon Valley, California, where he mapped out how “digital diplomacy” will be added to the weapons of armed subversion such as covert operations, “aid,” and secret diplomacy that are already being used internationally by the Harper government against targeted countries.
“Digital diplomacy” is cyberwarfare. It is a new buzz word to go along with “direct diplomacy” and the “public diplomacy” embraced by the Obama Doctrine, the U.S. State Department and NATO to rationalize the creation of mechanisms whereby the United States gives itself the right to deal directly with citizens of various countries and NGOs that do its bidding and completely bypass sovereign governments. Continue reading →
Fascist groups unleashed violence in the Ukraine, which led to deaths, tens of injuries, attacks on public institutions and destruction, and the current warmongering threats against the Crimea and Russia, in order to overthrow a sovereign government. The putschists of the Maiden in Kiev – financed and heroized as “courageous activists” by Harper, Baird and their ilk – are neo-Nazis and a fifth column of NATO Gladio terrorist network, set in motion by the USA, which pulled the trigger on the February 21st political compromise organized by the EU, writes F. WILLIAM ENGDAHL*
The Ukraine putsch in Kiev on February 23 reportedly involves the NATO Gladio, an international network of secret cells of the NATO member states to combat the worker’s movement and communism in Western Europe. It originated with the famous directive of Churchill to “fan the flames” of the partisan warfare during World War II through the SOE (Special Operations Executive); by this it was understood to penetrate and subvert the anti-fascist resistance movement, and make it a tool of the Anglo-American forces, as in Greece. The post-war Gladio network had its own intelligence structure, its own secret military training, a network of illegal arms and PSYOPS service. These actions were part of U.S. military theory called the “strategy of tension,” and were particularly used in Italy in the 70s. The Gladio network was nothing more nor less than an organized terrorist network within NATO countries. In parallel, the CIA supervised the organization of the Operation Condor in Latin America beginning in 1975. – TS
RHC (Nov. 18) – THE U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) mistakenly released a six-million-dollar subversive program against Cuba after using an uncoded communication line used to send diplomatic documents to Havana. Continue reading →
A revealing report from MANUEL OCHSENREITER* of the German monthly newsmagazine ZUERST! breaks the embargo of the warmongering monopoly media about the actual situation in Syria.
Poster of President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus
ACCORDING to the mainstream Western media, a ‘civil war’ is raging in Syria. Campaigning groups like the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights make extravagant claims about huge numbers of casualties (they claim that around 20,000 people have already died) at the hands of the Syrian state security forces. Independent journalists, it is alleged, are not allowed to report directly from Syria, and the regime does not permit free press activities. Continue reading →
german-foreign-policy.com DAMASCUS/BERLIN (May 30) – Berlin is preparing for Syria’s transformation to a liberal market economy. Under German leadership, a multinational “Working Group” began its work late last week. Immediately following the overthrow of the Assad regime, this “Working Group” is planning to launch urgent economic measures, including the coordination of aid projects and the implementation of economic reforms. Together with the United Arab Emirates, the German government is establishing a “secretariat,” under the leadership of a German with Afghanistan experience. In cooperation with the Assad regime, Berlin had already promoted the Syrian economy’s privatization. However, the nascent liberalization drove sectors of the population into bankruptcy, thereby contributing to insurgence against the regime. Continue reading →
WASHINGTON is preparing funds to support the opposition’s campaign against President Hugo Chavez during the coming presidential elections in 2012Since Hugo Chavez won his first presidential elections in 1998, the US government has been trying to remove him from power. With multimillion-dollar investments, every year Washington’s agencies advise and aid anti-Chavez groups with their campaigns and strategies against the government. Continue reading →